Saturday, May 30, 2009

Graduation

The day before

I was supposed to register anytime between 9am-12.30pm. But I reached IPBA at 12.40pm. I came straight from school after settling a few errands and closing the register for the month of May (calculating the month's attendance percentage, hitung panjang kehadiran, hitung panjang pelajar and whatnot). The registration people have started to pack things when I reached their counter. I managed to register but the counter for collecting the robes and mortar board was already closed.

The briefing would start at 2.30pm. I couldn't reach Fa and Nada. I also didn't bump into any Cohort 2 people (except for Nina and Aimi). Where is everyone? This wasn't the "reunion" I had imagined.

After Zohor, I finally met familiar faces again. I bumped into Dayah Z and Fatin at the surau. We then went together to DKB for the rehearsal briefing. Only then, I saw all the others: Nisha, Mass, Syafiq, Rubini, Wan Lynn, Peri, Aini, etc.

As the briefing progressed, more people trickled in, and each new arrival incited fresh excitement and furious waving. Syahir, with his new looks, created the loudest buzz.

We then adjourned to Bilik Kesuri to practise the procession-in. But first, I had to make a quick dash to Level 2 to collect my robes and mortar board.

The rehearsal was a big yawn. There were many kinks to be ironed out (with regards to the Negaraku recording, the VIP arrival, the backdrop, etc) that we just sat there, doing nothing for the large part of the rehearsal.

Finally, after the rehearsal ended, I got to see and have that long catch-up session with my dearest friends (we were seated far apart from each other in the hall).

Ainur, Hassanah, Jaime, Fa, Nada and I went for an early dinner because we were all famished. Like what Ainur said, "Ni bukan lapar lagi, ni dah lapaq".

We had a good, relaxing dinner and then it was time to go home. That night, my family was supposed to take a studio photo to mark my graduation/graduating.

While driving home, I had a sinking feeling that my brothers forgot about it as I didn't remind them of it that morning. Further, the plan to get the photo was only "tentative". But the photo shoot couldn't be done at a later time as I had to return the robes tomorrow.

Being the last child, my graduation was not really a big deal as everyone in the family had already "been there, done that". So, there's nothing to get excited about. While others bring their parents, siblings, grandparents, significant others to the graduation, I will only bring my parents. And I'm okay with that. Tak kecik hati whatsoever.

OK, maybe only a teeny, weeny bit.

As expected, my two brothers forgot about it. Abewan promised to come (despite having to change his plans) but Abafan said that he was really sorry he couldn't make it.

We reached the studio at 9pm. Perhaps Kakak felt sorry for me - I didn't know what she said to Abafan that made him changed his mind. Abafan said that he'd be there in 30 minutes' time.

I didn't have the Macquarie green-and-gold hood with me, so my robes looked bare. Further, my sis-in-law, niece and nephew would not be in the picture (she is eight-month pregnant while Damia and Irfan were in their pyjamas).

The picture was ready the next day and it didn't look too bad considering everything.

Afterwards, we all ate Satay Kajang for supper and that made me feel much better.

The Day

I didn't wake up thinking, "Hey, it's my graduation day!". No, I woke up groggily thinking, "Thank God it's the school holidays!". It took me around 2 minutes to realise the day's significance.

I quickly performed Subuh, got ready, had breakfast and left for IPBA (my parents would be coming later). The place was already a hive of activity when I reached it. Everyone seemed to be in their robes already yet I still haven't collected my hood. So I had to run to Level 2, in heels(!), and collect it.

They were about to start the procession when I rejoined the group. Big thanks to Tasha for calming me down and helping me pin my hood and mortar board in place. I owe you one Tasha!

I think the ceremony went smoothly. I especially love the choir performance and Anne's heartfelt speech. I was also overjoyed to see Jean and Rod (my favourite lecturers) in the Macquarie contingent together with Pamela and Sue.

After the ceremony, I went to search for my parents and was relieved to find out that they weren't too late as to be refused admittance/miss my turn to get the scroll. We took pictures together and they took their leave. They figured I would want to spend more time with my friends.

I milled around, took photos with friends, had brief chats with them. It was fun but hardly the long, catch-up session I had imagined. Everyone was a bit preoccupied that day, I guess.

It was a bittersweet, fleeting reunion. It was great to meet my friends (the newly-married, the about-to-be-married, the pregnant mums-to-be, and everyone else) but it's sad to comprehend that we may never cross path again. :-(

So that was that.

My graduation day.

Was rather fun to be celebrated like that.

Can't wait to begin and finish my Master's to experience it all over again :-p

X X X

P.S. A special shout-out to Majidah, who couldn't make it to the graduation: You were sorely-missed!

3 comments:

me said...

no prob syada. and my sister managed to snap a few pictures showing me helping you out :)

btw, have u applied for ur masters?

Jarod Yong said...

Congratulations, Rosyada!

I too woke up overjoyed by the thought of 2 weeks of holiday!
hahahahahaha!!!!

but now I'm a little bit sad coz only 1 week left...
=(

ainee said...

awwwww

nice entry.

i cant believe its over and done.
do you?