Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Chicken Soup for the Teacher's Soul

In the run-up to this year's Teachers' Day (only 3 days' to go!), I would like to share a few stories about the rewards of being a teacher.

Sure, you're underpaid, bogged down by paperwork, stressed by unruly kids, losing your voice, etc.

But there are a few incidents that make it all seem worthwhile.

Incident 1:

My former student called me today just to say: "Cikgu, kami semua rindu kat cikgu..."

Incident 2:

A student gave me his mum's Mee Hailam recipe (it's his mum's specialty). I didn't ask for it, mind you. Agak random but comel juga!

I should have named this entry Mee Hailam for the Teacher's Soul!



Incident 3:

I received this letter on my last day at Hillcrest:

---------------------------------------------------------
Dear Miss Rosyada,

Greeting from 2 Amal. Thank you for teaching us we say with the most sincere words that we have ever said or written. You have been truly a wonderful teacher. These past three months have been so wonderful that even thinking of an English lesson without you makes our hearts to be filled with immense sorrow. We are crying inside because your time as a practical teacher is up. We will truly miss you and remember you as a great teacher from now till the day after forever. We wish you a sincere good luck in whatever you hope to achieve. Please do not forget us here in 2 Amal because we will surely remember you. As I am writing this letter on the behalf of my class, I am struggling to hold back the tears. But I find peace because I know that you will become a great teacher in whichever school you get assigned to (hope it's Hillcrest). I would like to elaborate the reason why your teaching was so wonderful. You see, you teach us in a fun and creative way. Everyday feels like a trip to the zoo because of your fun, fresh and exciting activities. Besides being very educational, it is also fun to do for the whole class. It kills us to say farewell to you but we do know that it is for the better and must be done. And with that note we say farewell to you, Miss Rosyada, the greatest English teacher ever!!!

Without wax,
The Whole Class of 2 Amal 2008

P.S. If you wanna know what without wax means, e-mail me at---
---------------------------------------------------------
Sure, the tone is too melodramatic but reading it never fails to make me smile from ear to ear.

8 comments:

Jarod Yong said...

hehe~~
What a great reminder that students see the effort we put into our classes & appreciate us for it.

Rosyada said...

yeah, i guess so.

am less enthusiastic today because i just had a horrible day... huhu

one student poured glue all over a desk in the media room!

after all the trouble i had gone through to conduct an ICT lesson!

i was soooooooo mad. i was shaking (from the combination of rage and trying to hold back tears) when i confronted the suspected perpetrators.

:-(

Najib Azmi said...

syada guru yang disayangi

Anonymous said...

Betul kata Najib:)
Saya sayang Syada:)

Ahmad Farith said...

hei heii,mcm kenal je incindent 3 tu.and i know who wrote and also 'without wax' mean what.

yeah teacher,u are very great teacher.im become interest in English because of you.

Happy Teacher's day !

mimisyamimi said...

Happy Teacher's Day, Syada!

me said...

have you tried the mee hailam recipe? hehe

Rosyada said...

tasha: I did! Well... actually my mum did(!) I uploaded the picture a few days after publishing the entry.