Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Under the microscope

"Cikgu, cikgu ada jerawat kat sini" *pointing to a spot above his brow*

"Cikgu bawak kereta lain ye hari ni?"

"Kenapa cikgu pakai kasut sama je tiap2 hari?"

You'd be surprised by how observant (and awfully frank) students are about your appearance, car, mood, eccentricities, etc.

You are observed by not only the students in your class, but the entire student population in your school. To prove my point, the above shoe comment was uttered by a student from a neighbouring class.

At times, the attention can be flattering. When Dayah, Nada and I frequented the Pasar Ramadan Sri Gombak last year (during our practicum at Hillcrest), we were always greeted by our students.

"Hi Cikgu"
"Cikgu beli apa cikgu?"
"Cikgu... belanja..."

Sampai penjual kat sana pun tahu kitaorang cikgu. When we paid for our food, they will say: "Saya jual ya Cikgu..."

Nada joked that we might develop "Celebrity-Complex" from all the attention.

But there are times that the attention is unwelcome. If I happened to have a HUGE pimple on my forehead, I would prefer not to have someone point out the obvious to me; I'm sure I must be feeling self-conscious as it is, thank you very much.

But these comments made me realise how important it is for teachers to display all the good qualities that they espouse. Actions do speak louder than words.

I've taken this snippet from Nisa's blog:

"We should not exact a higher standard of conduct in matters of punctuality, responsibility, and self control than what we ourselves possess"

Remember As-Saff, Verse 2-3?



"O you who believe! Why do you say that which you do not do? Most hateful it is with Allah that you say that which you do not do"

I remembered stressing about punctuality to the students involved in perbarisan Rumah Ungu. Then, I was late for the next meeting! Adoi... malunya. Though, I wasn't late by much, I know that the students noted my tardiness.

Though it can be a little stifling to live under the microscope, it does make you a better person. Billie Jean King, the legendary tennis player once said: Pressure is a Privilege. How true; pressure can be a tremendously effective impetus for improvement. If you're not pressured, if you are comfortably stuck in your comfort zone, then you'd have no motivation whatsoever to change right?

Here's another quotation about teaching that I really love:

I’ve come to a frightening conclusion
that I am the decisive element in the classroom.

It’s my personal approach that creates the climate.
It’s my daily mood that makes the weather.
As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous.
I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration.
I can humiliate or heal.
In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated
and a child humanized or dehumanized

-Haim Ginott-

1 comment:

Jarod Yong said...

haha~~
I am very tough on my students so very few of them actually make such comments.

It's not that I dont like them. It's just that I'd rather sacrifice my popularity for their diligence.
They dont get monitored at home & they dont monitor themselves.

I do feel like I am the only person who actually makes them learn & study.
A teacher has to put in 200% for students to receive 100%.

Welcome to P1.
I get an extra allowance.
But I have to earn it.
**faint**