Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The Art of Integration - Islam in Britain

After missing out on the last exhibition (Divine Inspiration: 7 Principles of Islamic Architecture), I resolved to catch the current exhibition, depicting Islam in Britain, during this school holiday.

I managed to persuade Kakak to come with me. We brought along Damia as she unexpectedly turned up at our house today - She somehow managed to wiggle her way out from attending nursery.

So the three of us made our way to the Islamic Arts Museum Malaysia (IAMM) this morning (17-3-09). The place was not hard to find as it is just a stone's throw away from Masjid Negara.

We knew we found the right building when we spotted this picture below.

Taken from: http://www.iamm.org.my/

The picture is featured on the IAMM's website, publicizing the event. The woman is wearing the Union Flag as her scarf as if to emphasise the point that her identities as a Muslim and a British do not clash.

We entered Special Gallery 1 after paying the admission fee (RM12 for one adult). There were about 40 pictures on display (I couldn't be sure). All of them were beautiful. My favourites are of a man praying on a vast hay field and of Yusuf Islam holding his guitar.

They say that pictures tell their own stories. True - but I feel that a more elaborate caption/comments would have made more of an impact to the visitors.

Afterwards, we roamed the 12 other galleries on the subjects:
-Architecture
-Malay World
-China
-India
-Quran & Manuscript
-Ceramics
-Metalwork
-Coin & Seal
-Woodwork
-Textile
-Jewellery
-Arms & Armour

I was really interested in the Architecture Gallery. It showcases scale models of famous mosques around the world. It was interesting to learn of the different architectural designs employed in different parts of the world in building the Muslim place of worship. I just had trouble understanding most of the architectural terms used.

As for the other galleries, I didn't really took the time to peruse each exhibit. Damia was getting a bit restless. So, we just walked through the galleries and only stop to examine a few items that caught our attention.

Lastly, we stopped at the museum shop. There were a lot of interesting items there as well. We probably stayed there longer than we did at any of the galleries (!). Due to budget constraint, I only bought a few postcards, bookmarks and a children storybook for Damia.

The postcards have pictures from a previous exhibition (from 23-4-03 until 31-9-03) entitled: Between Eden & Earth ~ Gardens of the Islamic World. The photographer was Ovidio Guaita. I bought the postcards because the pictures evoke a sense of calm and tranquility in me.

The bookmarks have Quranic verses printed on them. The verses are:

1) From Surah Al-Kahf (18:109)

"If the ocean were ink to write out the words of my Lord, sooner would the ocean be exhausted than the words of my Lord, even if we added another ocean like it, for its aid."

I was thinking of this verse when I was in Cherating last week.

2) From Surah Qaf (50:16-17)


"It was We who created man, and we know what dark suggestions his soul makes to him: for We are nearer to him than his jugular vein. Behold, two (guardian angels) appointed to learn his doings, one sitting on the right and one on the left."

For more info, visit http://www.iamm.org.my/

4 comments:

Jarod Yong said...

Looks interesting!
Is it open to non-Muslims?

Anonymous said...

remember the exhibition at macq uni library?

ouhhhh bestnye dapat pi event2 mcm tu..

kat manjung takde ape. :(

Rosyada said...

Jarod: sure it is! when I went there, lagi ramai mat salleh dari malaysians... hahaha

Nisa: Yup! I still remember the exhibition. How I wish I could take photographs like that!

Ni yg nak kena beli DSLR ni...

Najib Azmi said...

drats! had i known i might have stopped by