Sunday, April 05, 2009

Miscellaneous

Met up with my cohort 3 juniors: Amrien, Syikin, Fina and Riza today (5-4-09). After parting ways more than 1 year ago, we finally got to see each other again.

It was a happy occasion. We traded stories about Macquarie, teaching, mutual acquaintances and IPBA.

They are finishing their Year 4 Sem 1, and are about to embark on their practicum in the next semester.

The conversations about Macquarie; Macquarie Centre, Easyway, our lecturers, the Macquarie University Village, etc - made me feel that I've left Macquarie yearssss ago.

Working has aged me prematurely I think... hahaha

X X X


Yesterday (4-4-09), I went to SMK Seri Kundang for the Pertandingan Kawad Kaki Badan Beruniform Sekolah-sekolah Menengah Daerah Gombak. My school represented the Pandu Puteri Unit for the competition.

I left home at 6.30am and only came back at 3pm! It was an exhausting Saturday which was supposed to be my off day!

Tapi, takpe since I got to meet my former students and the teachers from Hillcrest. They represented the Pengakap outfit.

I think all my students have grown 2 inches taller! Rasa terharu that they still remember me.

X X X

Last Thursday (9-4-09) was a bad day.

My day started well enough. But everything changed after the staff meeting. I hate it when the "higher-up" people place unreasonable demands on teachers.

Today, we had a briefing about how to keep the class register. It's tedious enough to write (by hand) the students' FULL name on a monthly basis to record their daily attendance. As Najib has pointed out: today's kids have very long names!

"If I ever have kids their name will only be 1 word and 6 letters tops" (Najib, 2009)

I'm with you Najib.

Then, at the end of each month, we have to do numerous statistical calculations. Fine - I can live with that.

Now, the "higher-up" people are splitting hairs about the students' data at the back of the register. For Tempat Lahir, we have to be more specific: we mustn't write KL or Selangor only. We have to include the Daerah as well (e.g. Gombak, Selangor). Oh, and we mustn't write in short form: not PJ but Petaling Jaya please...

And for rumah sukan, we musn't put Biru/Merah/Hijau/Kuning/Ungu. It should be Panglima/Pendekar/Perkasa/Pahlawan/Perwira instead.

APEKAH??

Teachers are swamped with a lot of tasks as it is. Creating further unnecessary work and stress is not really a good idea. And please stop from threatening us with Surat Tunjuk Sebab to make us toe the line.

We work very, very hard. It would be nice to get a pat on the back once in a while instead of the unrelenting pressure. A good manager is someone who knows how to bring out the best out of each of his/her team members right?

I'm so going to take Educational Management for my Master.

After the meeting, I felt like I was ready to explode. Coincidentally, my first class for the day was 1N a.k.a. Kelas Yang Paling Mencabar Iman.

They were supposed to have their Ujian Pendidikan Seni Visual but many turned up late to class; Many did not bring their test questions to class (which were given a week earlier); Many did not bring the necessary equipment to do the test (e.g. pencil colours, geometry set, water colours, paint brush, etc).

The class was very noisy despite it being a test because the students were sharing test questions, equipment and even basic items like erasers!

So, my patience was wearing VERY thin. I scolded the offenders but at the back of my mind I kept thinking: Was I reprimanding them or was I taking out my anger at them?

Deep down I had to admit that the latter was true. Though the students deserved to be reprimanded, my words were harsher than usual. The realisation hit me hard. I was immensely regretful.

:-(

5 comments:

Najib Azmi said...

yes! glad to know there are other people with me on this. if we don't start making their names short, i fear for our future, future generations.

Anonymous said...

oh syada, my school included. so many things to do, overburdening the teachers, and lastly threaten surat tunjuk sebab. pigidah!

i think these 'higher-up' people they tend to forget what it's like to be a teacher. they were once in our shoes too kan?

many times i lashed out my anger at my students just because of previous meetings attended or being previously notified of certain2 things which are totally ridiculous. and when i enter the class, students plak buat hal, that's when anger management tah kemane2. it's so stressful.

and many days I wenr home feeling 'immensely regretful' just like you.

i wish i can improve huhu sama2 la kita doa agar ditingkatkan kesabaran dan iman.

miss you syada!

-tasha-

NFA said...

satu, fa stju name pendek, mcm name najib.

due, bersabarla syada menangani ss yg sebegitu rupe~ hehe

tk cre. miss u and tasha too~

rienmiel said...

salam kak syada...
sangat best dapat jumpa kamu :)

Ahmad Farith said...

hei hei.i was there when kawad kaki competition.still have a chance to meet u.igt kn dah x jumpe lg dah.

p/s ; fuyohhh,pandu puteri advisor la ni?nape x amik puteri islam?