Saturday, April 18, 2009

Then and Now

Then, I taught only 2 classes, now I teach 5.

Then, I taught 10 periods per week. Now, it's 25.

Then, I knew all my students' name (85 students). Now, after three months with my students, I wonder if I will ever be able to remember all 209 names.

Then, I gave instant feedback to my students. Now, my students' exercise books are gathering dust on my workstation.

Then, I rarely used the textbook, relying more on handouts adapted from various sources. Now, I think I rely on the textbook too much. There's nothing wrong with the textbook, but I don't put in as much effort in finding current, interesting materials anymore. Plus, to make copies of handouts for 5 classes is not really financially viable for me.

Then, I always had a set induction for each lesson plan (a set induction is meant to attract the students' attention - to hook them into the lesson). Now, I've dispensed with it because of time constraint especially during single-period lessons. Many times, I went into class and straightaway wrote on the whiteboard without any introductory address.

Reflecting on my past and current practice, is it any wonder that students seem to love practicum teachers more?

Why am I employing a different approach? Suffice to say that full-fledged teachers are simply SWAMPED with a multitude of tasks (which practicum teachers are unencumbered with). And rarely do these tasks have anything to do with teaching.

*sigh*

I feel bad because it seems like I'm shortchanging my students...

1 comment:

Jij@h said...

salam syada...

haish, so true! i also felt guilty.. i even missed some of my classes because of the urgent-non-related-to-teaching tasks..

and thinking that the parents have to rubber-tap to get money for them to learn in school..sob sob