Tuesday, July 03, 2012

I’m making copies for good

One of the TV programmes that I follow is Fairly Legal. In the second episode of Season 2, Ben Grogan, the new partner of Reed & Reed, starts planting his roots in his new office. He doesn't have a PA yet so he orders Leo around, much to Leo's chagrin. After many subtle hints which go unheeded, Leo finally tells it to him straight:

"The thing is, Mr Grogan, Ben. The essential thing that I’ve been trying to communicate to you is that I don’t work for you. I work for Kate Reed. And that might seem like a subtle distinction to you but to me, it is huge. Because Kate does meaningful, positive things in this world and I know, in my own way, that when I’m making copies for Kate Reed, I’m making copies for good. I’m xeroxing for a better America. And that’s why I work for her and not you. And if you have a problem with that, then you can fire me. Oh! Wait! You can’t! Because I work for Kate Reed!"

I like the part when he says: "...when I’m making copies for Kate Reed, I’m making copies for good. I’m xeroxing for a better America."

Though we all work so that we get paid at the end of the month; so that we can use that money to pay our bills and do whatever we want with what's left of it, we do hope that our work enables us to contribute positively to our communities. We want our work to carry some MEANING.

If Leo feels like he's xeroxing for a better America when he makes copies for his boss, likewise, as teachers, I feel we're contributing to a better Malaysia when:
we make copies of handouts for our students
we sacrifice our weekends to send them to competitions
we stay back after school for extra-curricular activities
we give free tuition
we listen to their family troubles/relationship problems and give advice accordingly
we drive them around and absorb the cost of petrol & tolls

Thus, our job satisfaction is derived from this notion that we're serving a higher purpose.
That's why I teach for Malaysia :)

What about you?

3 comments:

Jarod Yong said...

Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it.
A question I constantly ask myself & reflect on.
It's good to rub shoulders with teachers like you, Syada. Reminds me of the ideals of the profession esp at a time like this when I'm smacked down to reality like a swatted fly.
Humans were meant to give, not receive.

Anonymous said...

Hello teacher,
i'd like to share this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpog1_NFd2Q

Rosyada said...

Hi Anonymous (Dev, is that you?)

Thanks for the link!

I LOVE IT!