Thursday, March 18, 2010

Lest We Forget

You know the feeling when you've read/seen something so significant that you just want to make it known to others?

That feeling was constantly on my mind when I was watching UK's Channel 4's 'Dispatches' programme: 'Children in Gaza'.

The Israeli attacks on Gaza was over a year ago. We all remembered it. The intense media coverage engaged everyone. People were enraged by the whole thing. Feeling helpless, people did everything within their power to help; donations poured in, prayers were offered, certain products were boycotted, rallies & talks were held, etc.

Sadly, people moved on. We rarely think about sufferings for a long time especially when those sufferings are not ours. So, Gaza was somewhat forgotten.

I'm guilty of the same disengagement. Though I do sort of keep up with what's happening (the site http://gaza.tumblr.com provides an excellent coverage of Gaza), the level of concern and anxiety has been less acute.

Thus, when Ibraheem said, "Whilst they are playing, we are sad", guilt and shame came over me as I felt that he could very well have been referring to me.

The documentary reminds me of the tragedy and why it is important for us to never forget it. Through the eyes of Ibraheem, Amal, Mahmood and Omsyatte, we could comprehend just how destructive the attacks had been to their country, their family, their home and their physical, mental & emotional well being.

These children are articulate, honest and brave. Their stories moved me and I felt that their honest remarks cut through the issue like no other "analysis" written by any journalist could.

I strongly urge you to see the documentary for yourselves at this link. I couldn't find the code to embed the video in this entry... sorry for that.

(Pictures taken from: channel4.com)

1 comment:

Jarod Yong said...

It's sad that ppl are suffering in this world & soon forgotten.
Thanks for keeping up the awareness.