Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Learning Arabic

I started learning Arabic recently. I joined the IIUM Arabic course for the public.

I was interested to learn the language since last year.

Before this, I recite the Quran without reading its translation. After I started reading the Quran hand-in-hand with is translation, I began to realize the importance of learning the language.

Knowing the meaning makes reading the Quran more "powerful" (it's a bit hard to describe its effect). But translations are only poor substitutes of the real thing. They could never convey the true essence of the message.

So, I enrol with my sister to learn the language. Classes are held every Monday and Wednesday, 8-10pm. There are 25 sessions in all. There is an examination at the end of the course and if you passed, you may proceed to the next level.

There are 20+ students in my class. Most of them are working adults or retirees. Only a handful are still studying. I like the ustaz who's teaching my class. He is so funny. But he scares me a bit since he often bombards us with tough questions. You really have to be alert and do your homework!

I also like going to IIUM at night. The buildings look so majestic. You also see people of various ethnic backgrounds. It's so multi-cultural that it reminds me of the Musolla at Macquarie University.

I think I would like very much to further my study at IIUM one day.

2 years ago, I learnt French and German as part of the B. Ed. (TESL) Foundation requirement.

And now, I could only remember bits and pieces of the language:

J'taime, Au revoir, Oui, Bonjour, Merci

Hopefully, my foray into Arabic won't suffer a similar fate.

X X X

From Marianne's handout:

Learners learn a language best when:
  • they are treated as individuals with their own needs and interests
  • they are provided with opportunities to participate in communicative use of the target language in a wide range of activities
  • they are exposed to communicative data which is comprehensible and relevant to their own needs and interests
  • they focus deliberately on various language forms, skills, and strategies in order to support the process of language acquisition
  • they are exposed to sociocultural data and direct experience of the culture(s) embedded within the target language
  • they become aware of the role and nature of language and culture
  • they are provided with appropriate feedback about their progress
  • they are provided with opportunities to manage their own learning
Taken from:
Pocket ALL: a user's guide to the teaching of languages and ESL
David Vale, Angela Scarino & Panny McKay


X X X

From Jill Murray's handout:

A good language learner:
  • attends to whether his/her performance meets the standards he/she has learnt
  • enjoys grammar exercises
  • begins learning in childhood
  • has an above average IQ
  • has good academic skills
  • has a good self-image and lots of confidence
  • is a willing and accurate guesser
  • tries to get a message across, even if specific language knowledge is lacking
  • is willing to make mistakes
  • constantly looks for patterns in the language
  • practices as often as possible
  • analyses his/her own speech and the speech of others.
(Spada & Lightbown, 2001)

No comments: