Sunday, May 27, 2007

Linguistics

I'm currently working on my LING312 major assignment.

Among the books I loaned from the library is: "Pidgins, Creoles and Lingua Francas - A sociolinguistic study" by Max K. Adler.

It is an inconspicuous-looking book; thin, colourless and outdated (1977)

but it has verses from the Old Testament, the New Testament, and the Quran in its preface.

All the verses had something to do with linguistics.

The verses from Quran are taken from Surah Ar-Rahman, Verse 1-4:

In the name of Allah, the Compassionate, the Merciful
It is the Merciful who has taught the Quran. He created man and taught him articulate speech.

The verses in Arabic are very familiar to me but I never think deeply about their meaning and how related they are to the field I'm currently studying.

I always bemoan how much I hate linguistics but these four verses may have just changed my mind.

:)

6 comments:

Far Azmi said...

me tooo~ neva thought of the verse as something relates to linguistic.. benarlah semua ilmu dtgnye dr Allah.. :D

kagum dgn penulis buku tu..he's not a muslim.. (ke?)tp bleh cite the ayat dlm buku dye..

Ana Shirin said...

haa... syada, love linguistics :p

Anonymous said...

casperbarbie: how such beautiful verses from Quran can change people's perspective..

Miss Aini said...

(one word) subhanallah.

wanee ahnal said...

ye syada... jangan sebab V***a kiter semua x suke linguistics (eh ade kaitan ke?)... haha.. sesungguhnye semua ilmu itu dr Allah..

Rosyada said...

err... actually, syada dah suka V***a dah... hehe