Saturday, November 23, 2013

3 Nekad 2013

I think I'm fated to be affiliated with Nekad classes. Last year I was the class teacher for 5N, this year, it was 3N.

We just had our class party this afternoon and since I left, I've been thinking of all the things we've gone through this year. Finally my writer's block is lifted and I'm raring to write and recall all the wonderful memories I've shared with my kids.

1) The first day

After the usual routine (introducing myself, briefing the students on what to expect in the year ahead, choosing the class monitor, etc), I asked the students to write a short journal entry. They could write about anything but if they were stuck for ideas, they could write about their first day of school so far.

This was what Aiman wrote:


That's right Aiman. NOT YET. All in good time ;)

2) Class pictures

Our first class picture was taken early on in the year for PERSADA (our school magazine). I guess the ice hadn't completely thawed yet since everyone looked so skema (i.e. prim & proper).


We've come a long way since then. After 9 months of getting to know one another, we looked far more relaxed and cheerful in our last picture together, which was taken a few days before PMR.


3) Whiteboard Art

One of the reasons my markers always run out of ink is because my students like to use them to write/draw on the board. I have to hoard them zealously so that they last longer. But occasionally, I let the students have a free reign and write/draw whatever that they would like to express. Who knows? Maybe one of them will become the next Ernest Zacharevic ;)

One of those times was when we had our second Hari Interaksi (report card day). Not many parents came so while waiting, the students came up with this:



Below is another example. They did this one during Art Class, in conjunction with Merdeka Day.


4) Pick-up Lines

I don't know how it started but the students like to share the latest pick-up lines they've heard with me. I would be walking to the office/class/canteen, when Efa or Aida would stop me excitedly and say, "Teacher, I've got another one!" and they would rattle off the newest cheesy line that I would groan at.

The tradition continued right up to my birthday when Efa gave me this card and Aida sent me this message:




5) Class Party

Everyone had to say a few words before we parted and I was the last one to speak up. I'm terrible at speaking in public, and I tend to do even worse if I have to speak off-the-cuff. Thus, I quickly typed a few things that I wanted to convey to my students. While writing the prompts, I realised that what I was going to say to them was applicable to ALL my students, past or present. Below is the speech which I rewrote from the notes I had typed:

Thank you for being wonderful students with, ahem, colourful personalities. It has been a privilege being your class teacher. Thank you for keeping me amused and making me laugh throughout the year.
I apologise for any shortcomings on my part. I know that I always fall behind in marking your books and test paper. Sorry if my teaching was ineffective/incomprehensible. In short, sorry for any inefficiency on my part.
I hope that all of you continue to be good students. Or if you know that you haven't been one, do try to become better. Being smart isn't enough; You need to work hard to achieve success.
Besides being good students, I hope all of you become good sons and daughters to your parents. And I sincerely hope that, in the future, you become successful and kind individuals.

After all that sentimental stuff, we took a group photo and dispersed.


P.S. Thank you Amira, Zuhayra, Aida & Efa for organising the party!


1 comment:

Jarod Yong said...

They seem like really bright kids & you are so very lovable! lol!