Thursday, July 16, 2009

Wanita Insan Istimewa

The above title is actually Topic 25 in the Form 3 Pendidikan Moral textbook.

To get the students to recognise the many achievements/contributions by women around the world, I asked them to list as many famous women as they can according to these categories:
-leaders/politicians
-athletes
-authors
-scientists
-corporate figures
-NGO workers

I was appalled by their lack of knowledge on general issues.

Most of them could only name Nicol David in the athletes' category. When pressed to name other female athletes, they went blank.

They were clueless about the other categories (excluding celebrities) as well.

Here are snippets of what happened:

Student A: Teacher, I don't know what to put for politicians.
Me: Well, who's the Minister for Women Affairs in Malaysia?
Student A: *blank*
Me: Er... Minister of Tourism?
Student A: I don't know la Teacher...
Me: Okay, she doesn't have to be a Malaysian... Who ran against Obama in the Democratic Presidential Election?
Student A: McCain!
Me: No, before that. Obama went against...?
Student A: I don't know la Teacher... I only know Obama
Me: *pressing on* She's very famous. Her husband used to be the former president. Before George Bush.
Student A: Really? Before Bush?
Me: Yes. Have you heard of Bill Clinton?
Student A: Ooo
Me: What's his wife's name?
Student A: *exasperated+trying to get me to back off* Megan Fox!

Yes, people. Megan Fox ran for presidency (!).

They students couldn't name/didn't know: Dato' Sri Shahrizat Abdul Jalil, Dato' Sri Ng Yen Yen, Marie Curie (one student exclaimed: "hey, it rhymes!"), Tan Sri Dato' Sri Dr. Zeti Akhtar Aziz, J.K. Rowling, Aung Suu Kyi, etc

And they didn't know what NGO stands for. And when I gave MERCY as an example of an NGO, they said they had never heard of it....

I think today's students live in such an insulated world of school, tuition centres and the latest Hollywood movies.

I don't think they read the newspapers or keep in touch with what's going on in the world. Which is a pity since life is so much bigger than their PMR, SPM and Megan Fox.

4 comments:

me said...

oh that's sad. today, i purposely asked my form 2 students who is our current prime minister. and surprise surprise they dont know!!! what more our deputy prime minister.

somehow diorang kenal pulak megan fox tu haissshhh

Anonymous said...

That is indeed a bother, and very sad.

I would've expected them to name some athletes, tennis after all has a lot of famous women players. Besides Nicol, Shalin was famous too, but I guess that was a long time ago hehe.

There are a lot of big names in politics too: Hillary, Sarah Palin (?), Benazir Bhutto, Margaret Thatcher etc...didn't anyone mention Princess Di at all???

They just don't read. Distressing.

I declare Megan Fox as "what's wrong with kids these days". Hehe

Jarod Yong said...

I learned a long time ago not to expect too much from my students.
This has saved me a lot of frustration.

And have given me a lot of surprises!
My students can name every Malaysian prime minister!

They are in school because they lack knowledge.
Poor understanding or poor knowledge should be expected.
That's what we are there for!

sd. said...

at least they know megan fox.

someone who lives in another continent.

kite bleh jugak panggil budak mcm tu 'advance'.

heh.