Monday, December 04, 2006

Lad Lit

So, that is what it's called!!!

I've just finished reading Nick Hornby's "High Fidelity". It's quite a good book but too "bloke-ish" for my taste.

Women have chick lit. So, the male's equivalent is called .... I dunno .... bloke lit??

I wiki-ed chick lit to find the answer and apparently:

"The male equivalent, spearheaded by authors like Ben Elton, Mike Gayle, and Nick Hornby, has been referred to as lad lit and dick lit."

Charming terms eh? Anyway, let's stick with lad lit shall we?

I strongly recommend the guys to read it. I'm sure they can easily relate to it.

Girls can read it too, of course. It can provide you with an insight to the male's psyche which is perplexing, disturbing and yeah: exasperating.

Below is my favourite passage from the book:

"I'd say that I'm cross because I know I'm stuck, and I don't like it. It would be nicer in some ways, if I wasn't so bound to her; it would be nicer if those sweet possibilities, that dreamy anticipation you have when you're fifteen or twenty or twenty-five, even, and you know that the most perfect person in the world might walk into your shop or office or friend's party at any moment ... it would be nicer if all that was still around somewhere, in a back pocket or a bottom drawer. But it's all gone, I think, and that's enough to make anyone cross."

Weird isn't it? Singletons crave for a partner and the sense of security that comes with it.

People in a relationship on the other hand, crave FREEDOM ..

Reading that passage made me feel good about being single. The whole "sweet possibilities" and "dreamy anticipation" part of being single ...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

xde opportunity lg nk read the book..but i love the film! one of my fav ever.

hehe, syada, nk pnjm buku bleh?

Rosyada said...

boleh2

skrg durra tgh baca
pastu nisa
pastu fatin

lepas fatin k

:)

me said...

oh syada. reading this entry reminds me of the good old days when we're studying pride and prejudice. u and ur enthusiasm hehe always analyse dalam2 sume and it's always u who saved us! hehe syada, guess what? i met miss kon kat airport tadi!!! gosh! thank god it wasn't miss ng? hehe

Rosyada said...

miss ng pun orait aper?? :P